Physcial Sample Submission of Insects with a Hard Exterior or "Shell" such as Ants, Flies, Beetles, Bees, Spiders, Centipedes, etc.
Please include a Insect/Arthropod ID Request form in a separate plastic bag to keep it dry.
For best results, follow the steps below:
- Put several specimen(s) into a sealable container (screw-top vial, jar, or pill container) as soon as possible and fill container with isopropyl or rubbing alcohol so that insects are submerged.
- The bottle does not need to be filled to the top unless the insect(s) fill the entire container. Seal container with tape if necessary.
- Please do not send insects in padded envelopes as they will be crushed during transit.
- Use a mailing tube or small box for shipping with packing material to keep the sealed container from shifting in transit.
- Mail package to address on submission form.
PPDC is not a medical facility. We cannot accept samples from a person's or animal's body.