Insects with a hard exterior or "shell" such as ants, flies, beetles, bees, spiders, centipedes, etc.
Please include a General Specimen form in a separate plastic bag to keep it dry.
For best results, follow the steps below:
- Obtain a seal-able container (screw-top vial, jar, or pill container).
- Put several specimen(s) into the container as soon as possible and fill container with isopropyl or rubbing alcohol so that insects are submerged.
- The bottle does not need to be filled to the top unless the insect(s) fill the entire container. (Alcohol keeps the insects from rotting and breaking into pieces.)
- Seal the container with tape if necessary.
- Complete a General Form and place it in a separate plastic bag then into the same mailing tube or box as the specimen.
Use a mailing tube or small box for shipping. Use newspaper or other packing material to keep the container from shifting in transit.
- More detailed sampling instructions can be found in HYG-2121-12, Submitting Insect Specimens for Identification.
C. Wayne Ellett Plant & Pest Diagnostic Clinic
8995 E. Main Street Bldg. 23
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068